Monday, 17 October 2011

Learning About Fungi (Fungus) - My Second Species

Continuing with my steep fungi (fungus) identification learning curve, I would like to add my second species that I intend to study in more detail over the coming months.

Scleroderma Citrinum (Common Earthball) - Poisonous

This is a tuberous or spherical type fungi, similar in shape and weight to a potato.

It has yellowish-brown external skin, which is of coarse, warty consistency. It has a kind of net pattern and has a very thick skin. At the base of the fungus are root-like fibres and the body of the earthball is up to 10cm in diameter.

The Gleba (Fleshy spore-bearing inner mass of fungi) is found to be purple-grey splashed with deeper purple to black, which then disintegrating into cotton wool like flakes, marbled with white.

The Common Eartball can be found in coniferous forests, where the soils are chalk-free.

Although only weakly poisonous, if consumed can cause fainting spells and strong gastric stomach upsets.

My own discoveries of this species have found them to be in singular form and also larger groups of differing sizes.

A similar species to Scleroderma Citrinum (Common Earthball) is Scleroderma Verrucosum, which has a yellowis-white root-like structure of mycelium (Vegetative part of a fungus, consisting of a mass of branching, thread-like hyphae (long, branching filamentous structure of a fungus))



To see how I am getting on with my first species choice (Amanita Muscaria - Fly Agaric) CLICK HERE

You are also welcome to watch a short video of when I first located the Common Earthball in the link below :

No comments:

Post a Comment